1. Aponiente, El Puerto de Santa Maria near Cádiz.
I never tire of championing this revolutionary seafood restaurant. If you google it, there are few English reviews outside of mine. It's strange as chef Ángel León is a TV star over there. In our opinion it should be regarded as amongst the finest in Spain and the world. A third Michelin star will most definitely help with that should that be forthcoming. It should be at the top of your 'to eat' list along with the likes of DiverXo and El Celler de Can Roca.. They are moving to larger premises in September so we hope to return again.
2. Mina, Bilbao.
Mina represents everything we love about Spanish restaurants. Small and modern with wonderful innovative food. I sent some friends there and they declared it the best meal they'd ever had.
3. El Campero Barbate, near Cádiz & Zahara de los Atunes.
Perhaps not so small, this mainly tuna restaurant and smaller tapas bar is nevertheless completely brilliant and inexpensive.
4. Punto MX Madrid.
The finest Mexican food in Europe?
5. Les Magnòlies Arbúcies, Girona Province. Again another place that's not that well known on the food trail, we thought it a better experience and food than three star Sant Pau (which we ate at on the same trip).
6. Casamar Llafranc, Costa Brava. Beautiful food with a beautiful view.
7. Txikote Conil de la Frontera.
This restaurant really surprised us as we had no expectations at all. It is in fact like a Basque pintxos bar transplanted to an Andalucian 'gastro' restaurant.
8. Nu, Girona.
If only someone were to do a version of this in Britian. It looks like a sushi bar inside but with Spanish food and a slightly Asian twist.
10. El Faro de Cádiz. Cádiz. We sat down and ate most of the tapas on the menu and spent very little money. This made me very happy indeed. This rounds up the list nicely as 1. Aponiente chef
Ángel León spent some time working here.
Ten restaurants to try in the near future. If you know more, please let us know!
1. Sacha, Madrid.
2. Ricard Camarena, Valencia.
3. Skina, Marbella.
4. Monastrell, Alicante.
5. Restaurante Lakasa, Madrid.
6. Montia, San Lorenzo del Escorial.
7. The Table by Abastos 2.0, Madrid.
8. Sudestada, Madrid.
9. Niño Viejo, Barcelona.
10. Hoja Santa, Barcelona.